Call for Artists
Where Ideas Are Born exhibition will be taking place at Aberdeen Art Gallery, 1 April – 11 June 2023. This exhibition brings together the work of over 20 photographers from the celebrated Magnum agency, including Inge Morath, Eve Arnold and Robert Capa. Around 70 photo portraits of internationally renowned artists capture the moment in their studios when the spark of creativity ignites and ideas are born. Artists such as Andy Warhol, Georgia O’Keefe, Ai Weiwei and Yayoi Kusama are all seen in their creative environments: from the cramped studios of the Parisian avant-garde artists at the beginning of the 20th century, to the New York lofts of the American pop and minimal artists and the highly professional studios of the international stars of the contemporary art market.
Show us where your ideas are born!
The exhibitions team at Aberdeen Art Gallery is inviting artists living in AB postcodes to share images of their own creative spaces with visitors to the Magnum exhibition. This could be a picture of you in your creative space, or simply the empty creative space you work in. Digital images will be shared on a screen in the exhibition gallery.
For inspiration, visit the website for ‘Where Ideas are Born‘ . The project is free to enter. To participate, you must accept the following Conditions of Entry:
• Artists must practice within the AB postcode
• Photographs and accompanying information must be titled ‘Where Ideas Are Born – Entry’ and submitted to Aberdeen Artists Society by email; email@example.com
• Only 1 photographic image per artist.
• Accompanying information must include:
– Your name, either your actual name, or as per your artistic presence
– The location of your studio e.g. Aberdeen, Stonehaven, etc and a specific location, eg Deemouth Artist Studios, The sheddie in the Gairdin etc
– The name of the photographer (optional)
– Images can be landscape, portrait or square format (Note, that they will displayed on a landscape digital screen)
• File format; JPEG (RBG) 300dpi
• Deadline for submission; 23:00 Sunday 19th February
• Aberdeen Artists Society and Aberdeen Archives, Gallery & Museums (AAGM) reserve the right to select from the photographs submitted, as our response to the exhibition.
• All selection decisions are final and we will not engage in any correspondence or discussion on the outcomes of our selection processes.
• By submitting images to Aberdeen Artists Society, you grant full and permanent permission for the AAS and AAGM to store, communicate, process, print, publish or otherwise use these images for the purposes of promotion, publicity, film-making and documentation, both now and in thefuture.
• Aberdeen Artists Society Council and AAGM reserves the right to alter the arrangements relating to any aspect of the Exhibition and its organisation according to circumstances.
• Details of selected images will be shared prior to the opening of the exhibition on 1 April.
Please indicate on your email if you DO NOT wish us to retain your contact details for future mailings.