April 2020 Newsletter
AAS Coming Home Exhibition – Goes Online
Aberdeen Artists Society has risen to the challenge that Covid 19 is presenting to us and has taken the unprecedented decision to move its Coming Home Exhibition online. Originally planned to open in the Aberdeen Art Gallery on 6th June, the online exhibition will open two weeks later, on the 20th June. The extra two weeks will give artists more time to prepare and maybe consider to enter another work. The extended deadline for submissions from 1st May to 17th May.
The Call for works published in March still stands, with the following exceptions/clarifications:
- The size limitation on all works will no longer apply.
- It is now possible to submit a maximum of three works.
- The deadline for works is extended to midnight on 17th May.
- The selection phase is similarly delayed.
- The exhibition opening online will now be 20th June.
- Prizes are now confirmed: £1000 Aberdeen Artists Society Prize for best in show, £500 MSD, £500 Donnie Ross Watercolour.
We continue to work closely with Aberdeen Art Gallery and, while the gallery is closed, are working out how to show works via their online platforms as well as participating in the Aberdeen Art Gallery & Museum (AAGM) programme of talks and workshops and exhibitions in an appropriate medium.
While the main AAS show will be online, AAS will continue to select work since we continue to hold out the hope and possibility of showing work in the Aberdeen Art Gallery spaces at a later date. This will be subject to these be offered to us in the AAGM programme once it re-opens. If this outcome materialises we will communicate directly with the artists who have had work selected. In this instance the size restriction will likely be reinstated as exhibition space in the gallery is limited. In any case ALL submitted works will be shown on the online gallery and, if the gallery spaces become available, as digital images projected onto a wall within the gallery.
We have been encouraged by the positive response to this decision from Aberdeen Art Gallery and from artists more broadly and hope it offers artists encouragement and an opportunity to show and sell work, to engage with an audience online while staying safe at this difficult time.
Call for works/submission on The OLIST: https://aberdeenartistssociety.oess1.uk
Proposals for talks and workshops to: firstname.lastname@example.org
AAS WEBSITE Update
Great news! – The Aberdeen Artists Society website is now fully updated, refurbished and live:
- Keep up to date with news and developments
- Become a member of Aberdeen Artists Society online, at anytime https://aberdeenartistssociety.co.uk/membership/